Thursday 20 May 2010

Bush Cricket


You may remember me talking about the introduction of cricket to CCF in a previous blog. And here is proof that its really taken of and the fields of Boskop (and donkeys) now regularly bare witness to titanic sporting battles on Sunday afternoons.

The pictures you see before you are from the first of the Boskop Test matches where CCF staff and volunteers formed teams of two and took turns to bat. Now, I have to say that I am rather good at her majesty's game so to make it fair I chose the Morkel as my partner who seriously failed to impress during our dinosaur weekend knock-around. So the game got underway and me and the Morkel took to the field and waited for our turn to bat.


Wickets fell at a quick pace, which was to be expected as most of the participants had never played the game before and it took them a while to learn the rules, especially the Americans who had a tough time realizing that they weren't playing Baseball.

Finally it was team Cleverley's turn and what followed will go down in the Boskop halls of fame as we proceeded to annihilate the competition! The Morkel summoned the eye of the tiger from somewhere and smashed the ball all over the park and at one point I hit the ball so hard that it literally disappeared. By the time the Morkel was bowled out we had racked up a monstrous 70 runs, a score that would prove unsurpassable by the others and the game was won!


There was some whining from the losers that we had hustled everyone and I knew of the Mighty Morkel's skill with the bat, but I can honestly say I didn't and her transformation from a hopeless amateur to cricket genius was worthy of a blockbuster sports movie with a montage.

Despite everyone taking defeat badly everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves and the great game did a fantastic job unifying multiple nationalities (Namibian, South African, American, British and even French) in a common cause :)

Photos by Rob Thomson

No comments: