Tuesday 2 June 2009

Back Home


Well, its time for me to head back to CCF tomorrow which is just as well as my tan is fading and my tummy is growing rapidly due to all the food I've been chucking down my throat! Its been really great seeing family and friends again, especially my mum, sis and Nan who I do miss quite a lot.

It felt very strange being back and the weather was not what I have become used to! Granted the fact that I walked out of the airport in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops didn't help but boy was it cold!!! I arrived home and discovered that the house looked rather different with a new front door, new windows, a new sofa and I also found that my bedroom had been converted into a computer room. So i have been sleeping in the loft which has been pretty cosy and the first day I was able to sleep in was GLORIOUS!!!! One day I am proud to say, I did not emerge from my bed until 3pm!! I haven't spent all my time sleeping however, during my first week back I went to London with my sis with the aim of meeting up with CCF vet tech Rachael, who was catching a connecting flight at Heathrow, however the airport staff wouldn't allow her to enter the check in area and so we were unable to see her :( This was bad enough but considering we had had to leave early in the morning at peak time the train tickets cost us £55 each!!! So me and sis decided to have breakfast at the airport and I had one of the nicest full English breakfasts I've ever had! Just look how happy I am in the pic below!

Seeing as our trip to London had already cost us £110 collectively we decided to make a day of it and we went to the Tower of London and then onto Covent Garden where we had a nice Italian. It was a great day but boy were we exhausted when we got home.

One of the things i'v missed the most is going to the movies and I have been to see quite a few since being back and here are my verdicts: Angels and Demons - pretty average, not as exciting as the book and Tom Hanks just isn't right in the role. Wolverine - Lots of nice explosions but that's about it, pretty disappointing. Drag Me to Hell - One of the best horror movies ever made! Thoroughly enjoyed it. Star Trek - AMAZING! You do NOT have to be a trekkie to enjoy this, honest!! I'm also going to see the new Terminator film tomorrow just before leaving for the airport, very excited!

Another thing or should I say things I've missed have been my cats!! Sadly Saffie passed away a couple of months ago but it was great seeing our two ginger boys Sam and Robbie and it took me a while to become accustomed to just how small they were as I'm used to the bigger variety these days! When I first went to say hello they ran a mile from me which made me a bit sad but they soon remembered who I was and it was just like old times and Sam often kept me company on my bed at night :)

I'v tried to meet up with as many friends as I can but sadly due to one reason or another its not been possible to meet up with everyone. If you are wondering why I have no pics of said friends then thats because I was a total idiot and left my bag containing my camera on a train and it has never been seen again, so I hope the bastard who took it and didn't hand it in is enjoying their new toy.

I've spent quite a bit of time with the family and had some really nice days out including a day at the coast in Bournemouth where I picked up some super cool sunglasses and had an English cream tea and a proper English fish and chips! oh yeah!! We also went to see my grandad in his new home and was glad to find him well and happy.

It was my birthday on the 28th of May and I am now two years away from 30 which is a pretty scary thought!! To mark this glorious event I had almost the whole family come round for a BBQ (by this point the weather had significantly improved) and a jolly time was had by all with Mum doing her usual great job with the barbecuing. Although I did miss a tasty bit of Oryx! One of my birthday treats was to go to London with Mum and sis and see the Lion King musical which was fantastic! I don't usually like musicals as the songs usually suck but this had great, catchy tunes so I loved it and it made me pine for Africa.

So thats about it, I've enjoyed my holiday and I will be sad saying goodbye to my family tommorow but I'm looking forward to getting back as I miss the cats, especially my Xena! :)
So cheerio England, i'm heading back to my African adventure!

No comments: